Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Recipes...Tried and True!

I recently made two new recipes and I thought that I would share with you! Both turned out fairly well and both were easy to make; both done within about an hour and half, most of that waiting(as you'll see or cooking time).

Super Moist and Very Easy Banana Bread: The Big Batch

Ingredients:
  • 8-9 overly ripe bananas, the browner the better in my opinion
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups flour
Directions:
  1. Smash bananas. I do this with my hands.
  2. Mix in melted butter into bananas.
  3. Add in eggs and sugar.
  4. Add in vanilla, salt, and soda.
  5. Gradually add in flour.
  6. Put into greased pans.
  7. Bake at 350 for 45-ish minutes.
I used 6 small pans so I could take 2 to work, my family's Thanksgiving, and the in-law's Thanksgivings. I also like to use the small pans because if not everyone likes the flavor of bread, you can freeze the other remaining loaf or pack it up and take elsewhere rather than toting along a already cut into loaf of bread. If you do the bigger pans, increase the cooking time to an hour. You could also do muffins and I would say probably 20-30 minutes would be good. Add chocolate chips or nuts of choice and these would be awesome still. Lots of possibilities here!

Next up was an adaptation of something I buy all too frequently in the store in single sized but overpriced portions for the husband: Planter's Heat Peanuts. Don't get me wrong, I can buy him some of his fave snacky snacks, but I wanted to see if I could buy a huge thing of peanuts and just make them myself for pennies compared to $1 a tube! This is the recipe I used from a PDF recipe book I received via email like ages ago that has all the "copy cat" recipes from restaurants, brands, etc.:

Mock Planter's Heat Cashews

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups hulled raw peanuts (or almonds, pecans, etc.) I used cashews.
  • 3 teas. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1−2 Tbls. liquid smoke
  • 2 Tbls. butter
  • 2 teas. distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teas. hot pepper sauce
  • 3/4 teas. salt
  • 1/8 teas. cayenne pepper
Directions:
  1. Line jelly roll pan with foil.
  2. Toss nuts with liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce and let marinate for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325F. I used 350 because of the above bread!
  4. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over med−low heat. Cool slightly.
  5. Stir in vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and cayenne. Return skillet to heat.
  6. Scrape in nuts and marinade.
  7. Stir to coat nuts, about 30 seconds.
  8. Return nut mixture to jelly roll pan. Bake until deep golden brown, stirring at times, about 20 min.
  9. Transfer pan to rack to cool. Nuts will crisp as they cool.
  10. Store in an air tight container.
  11. These came out more smoky flavored than the fiery hot like the Heat nuts. When I make them again, I will add more of the hot pepper sauce and less liquid smoke and cook them low and slow. I will have to follow up.
    I did however mix them with some white cheddar popcorn after work and that was AMAZE! Those boy scouts can really make some righteous popcorn!
    Stay tuned for more recipes to come in the following weeks, I mean I'm trying 3 different sweet potato recipes on Turkey Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment